Thursday, October 13, 2016

<=> Less is More <=> A Diet of Innovation

 I have a terrible sweet tooth! My biggest weakness; a potluck table covered by an assortment of various presentations of cakes, puddings, cookies, and anything else imaginable. When given an opportunity to grab sweets at will I can load my plate with pieces of this and that to the point where I have to balance my plate with two hands and slowly shuffle back to my seat to keep from upsetting the load. Consumption is even more alarming. I can consume sweets to the point where I feel bloated and sick. Soon, I have regrets and remorse for my actions and start to plan the next diet that I know I will eventually need to go on.

Unfortunately, I'm the same way when it comes to innovation. When I view the #IMMOOC Facebook or Twitter page I see a layout of tempting innovative practices that I want to load onto my plate and indulge in. Sometimes I even feel like I have to indulge in these to become a better teacher. Like when I eat too much dessert, I can feel bloated and sick by innovation overload. Hearing George Couros say that less is more is a real comfort to me. This week I've decided to start an innovation diet. I plan to cut my innovation practices down to those that I feel I can manage effectively and will not weigh me down. I still plan to sample innovation practices here and there but not try to indulge in so many all at once.


I love the idea of using a mantra and have adopted a few a these from "The Innovator's Minset"
for myself.

"Eliminate the unnecessary so that the necessary may speak"
"Focus more on depth than breadth"
"Quality should always override quantity"
Beware of "too many opportunities without a clear focus"
""At this point, choice no longer liberates but debilitates""

Although dieting is never easy it always leads to positive results. I'm looking to starting my innovation diet and reaping the rewards of a clear focus.




3 comments:

  1. Great post and play with words. Share those mantras often so others will remember that we all need to be focused on our innovation diet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your analogy! Its easy to get caught up in wanting more as we read and hear about amazing things, but focusing on a smaller number of innovative practices will be more sustainable and lead to more long term changes. Good luck with your diet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your analogy! Its easy to get caught up in wanting more as we read and hear about amazing things, but focusing on a smaller number of innovative practices will be more sustainable and lead to more long term changes. Good luck with your diet!

    ReplyDelete